Saturday, August 23, 2008

Elderberry Fennel Mini-pies

elderberry and fennel minipies

As I mentioned in a previous post, we are using fennel all the time now. Recently we picked up some elderberries at the market. Unfamiliar with elderberry? I would suggest you read the entry at Modern Beet. I only knew this product from the numerous references to elderberry wine in literature. Of course, wine is not quite baby friendly--and we still have some red currant infused vodka left around.

So, we went with pies. As this was slightly experimental, I went with the mini pie format. I use cuts to cut rounds of dough, and place them in mini-muffin tins. Though after seeing the 7 inch pie pans at Do Better, I have some plans. To top, I rarely use another round of dough, but only for aesthetic reasons.

For the filling, it was equal parts elderberry and fennel (both the gorgeous green fronds and the stems), brown sugar and corn starch. The result was very nice.

DSC_0214

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

such cute little pies. This is such a fascinating combination of flavors-- I would never have thought of it. It sounds like it would be delicious!

Anonymous said...

Mini Pies! I love them already even before reading through the entire post! :-)

Anonymous said...

lovely! I'm so glad you posted this -- I was very curious to see how they'd turn out -- it's looks like they turned out great!

Anonymous said...

What a great use for elderberries! I 'inherited' a great elderberry bush when we moved about a year ago. It's very exciting. Thus far I've only made elderberry jam and syrup. Looks like I have another 'must try' to add to my list!

glamah16 said...

Nice to see the fennel tops being used. Most people discard them. I would never have thought to add fennel to elderberries but it looks wonderful!

Poonam said...

Wow, so petite!

Dragon said...

I've never used fennel in a sweet dish before. They look amazaing.

maybelles mom said...

cookinpanda: Do try them.

Ann: Mini loves unite!

Jen (Modern Beet): thanks for coming to see them.

Rebecca (Foodie With Family): with all those elderberries what do you have to loose?

glamah16: Thanks.

Poonam: Small is good.

Dragon: Yeah, I usually do it savory. but it worked.

Tarah at Genesis of a Cook said...

How cute!! I love it :D