Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tofu Salad is Yum

DSC05650

This is another not-Bento post. Ages ago, I used to bake tofu cubes on Sunday in hopes of getting 2-3 meals out of it during the week, but then we would just eat them all up right out of the oven. But, then I read the tofu crouton recipe from Flexitarian Menu. I decided tofu salad would be mine. I took a whole block of tofu, tossed it with turmeric and ras el hanout. After spreading them evenly onto a silpat, and giving them a quick spritz with olive oil, they went into the oven for an unspecified amount of time. (A couple segments of useless television at least.) During the same period, I diced some celery, carrots, red onions, steamed sunchokes. For the dressing, we used some grape seed veganaise, rice wine vinegar, and plenty of cilantro. I served it with cherry tomatoes and pita. Oh, was this so delicious. . . I wished I had some right now.

7 comments:

Nancy Heller said...

What a great idea! The key to making tofu yummy is to get rid of the water - usually by pressing. A low oven should have the same effect.

What is ras el hanout?

Lucy said...

So do I...but I do have all I need in the house right now.

And that so rarely happens.

holly_44109 said...

looks great

Anonymous said...

What a great great great idea!! I'm heading back to school in about a month and will be insanely busy-- and this is the perfect idea. I could make up several batches of tofu croutons for salads later in the week. Assuming I don't eat them all first...

Maggie said...

That looks SO good! I do the same thing; bake tofu planning on eating over several days and then nibble on it right out of the oven until it's all gone.

glamah16 said...

It is yum!

maybelles mom said...

Nancy Heller, I do like pressed tofu, frozen, but also steamed. Frankly I like it all ways. And, ras el hanout is a spice mix from Morocco. If I can find it, there was a wonderful write up included in an old Weekend Herb Blogging.

Lucy, do tell…

Holly, it is a breeze and easy to have in the fridge when you are under slept.

Cookinpanda, thanks. Two heads, eh?

Maggie, they are addictive.

glamah16, nice to find a like-minded person.