Monday, July 28, 2008

Sunchoke and White Bean Soup

DSC05839
Lunch at work had been sort of dismal of late. Stress has reached havoc on my eating habits, my cooking, my health. But, as always, I am trying to get it back. I have been trying to prepare a quick lunch for all three of us in the evening as I am decompressing and watching TV. The plan is 15-20 minutes/ low prep to healthy and yummy. And, while I have Bento Box dreams and aspirations, the actuality is not quite so kawaii. Hell, you can’t have everything.

The first such meal was an easy sunchoke white bean soup. The soup was roasted sunchokes, roasted garlic, roasted carrots, vegetable stock, white beans, and spinach. Basically, roast the vegetables as you veg in front of the TV. When everything cools, peel and add to beans that have been heated in stock. At the last minute, add washed spinach.

The spinach was a lovely, lovely offering from my CSA basket. (Thank you Maple Valley Sugarbush.) Oh, was it yum. I paired the vegan soup lunch with pita. It could have been paired parmesan on grilled rye.

6 comments:

OhioMom said...

Oh I love this soup, and spinach too? Yummy!

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to try sunchokes for a long time, but I thought you couldn't find them until fall! I'll have a keep an eye out at my farmer's market!

pam said...

Beautiful soup! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has bento box dreams. One day...maybe.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for a way to use sunchokes... I love them steamed with butter, but we're trying to cut out the butter thing. I can't wait to make this!

I have bought bento boxes twice; the first time, they sat for so long we donated them to an international program on campus that was having a garage sale! I'm determined that I'll use this set, but determined and successful are so seldom the same thing.

Good to have you back!

maybelles mom said...

thanks for the comments and hope you all make the recipe.

As for bento, ahh, they are such cruel temptresses.

maybelles mom said...

Jen, I tried to figure out which stand I got my sunchokes from, but to no avail. I have no idea how they had them.