Friday, August 1, 2008

Potato and Pea Subji

DSC05779
Recently, Kevin of Closet Cooking made a very nice asparagus dish with his brand-spankin' new homemade garam masala.

I feel sort of mixed about garam masala. While my family is Indian, garam masala was not a particularly common spice mix at our house. Indians cultures are very specific, even idiosyncratic, about their spices. Asofoetida, for example, can be a necessary element of one's spice box but near verboten in their neighbors home. For my friend's mother's cooking with garam masala would be unheard of. Anyway, now, I usually mix up my own (like Kevin); in smallish batches, and grind everything is a half-dead coffee grinder.

After reading Kevin's post, I reached for this garam masala when I was making potatoes. I sauteed the potatoes with onions and garam masala and mustard seeds. When the potatoes were almost cooked, I added fresh english peas and some water. Once everything was tender, I splashed the lot with lime juice. This was partnered with dal and rice.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks really interesting - I like how you constructed the dish.

Kajal@aapplemint said...

gosh i've grown up eating this bhaji, and yet i've not made it in so long. Do you have them with puris ?
They go the best with this.

OhioMom said...

I am really going to have to try this garam masala, so many things to taste and so little time :)

Cynthia said...

I love your presentation!

Cynthia said...

I love your presentation!

test it comm said...

I am enjoying the garam masala. It seems so easy to add it to pretty much anything for some great flavour. Those potatoes and peas look good.

Anonymous said...

So good and so simple. That's the greatest star dish, by the way.

Jude said...

I also make Garam Masala in this way, too. Just a little bit of it brightens anything up.

maybelles mom said...

Fearless Kitchen, thanks.

K/K, I have been trying to kick the fry life. We had chappatis. But, you might have tempted me to pick up the habit.

OhioMom. Do! Do! I bet spicehound has everything you need.

Cynthia, thanks.

Kevin, thanks.

Cookinpanda, let me tell you a secret. it is a mini-cake mold.

Jude, heck yeah.