Friday, August 15, 2008

Gooseberry curry

Gooseberry Curry

My mother loves gooseberries. While Indian gooseberries are different than their Western counterparts, the European gooseberry can be an approximation and substitution in some recipes. This one was very delicious. The gooseberries have a slight sour punch. While somehow I neglected to photograph the little green orbs. And, I feel so sad, because there was such perfection in that little box: pale green pseudo-segmented with ever-so yellow lines. They are sort of like dressed up miniscule grapes.

I had plans, sure, but this summer has been one for missing out on plans. And, so, one evening I was rushing to make dinner and I grabbed the box. I quickly diced up a large potato so that the cubes were equal in length to the diameter of the berries. (Yes, there will be a math lesson later.)
The gooseberry would fill the sour component often filled my tamarind. This would be a fast deal. I sautéed the potatoes slightly and then in a separate pan I sautéed grated coconut, coriander seeds, and 1 dried red chili. Blend this masala with water. Then, add the masala to the we the sautéed potatoes, whole gooseberries, some curry leaves, and simmer. Finish with cilantro. After a nice simmer, it turned out delicious.

This is also my entry into Curry Mela run by Cooking 4 All Seasons.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not have gooseberries, but I have ground cherries in abundance. I think this would work very well with the only-just-begin-to-ripen ones! I'll try it and let you know.

Thanks, again, for the inspiration. I am a much better cook since I found you!

OhioMom said...

Sounds yummy! I don't believe I have ever had gooseberries.

Dragon said...

A lovely curry. :)

Mama Mia said...

ohhhh~ that curry looks like a perfect summer meal! Love it!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

Congratulations, FF. I've never called anyone an FF before. I'll just stick with Fine Foodie LOL

I've never had gooseberries, seen them used, or anything. I actually learned something today. Thanks!

Sophie said...

I've never had gooseberries before...I must be missing out! This sounds like a fun combo of ingredients, I bet this is a very savory dish :).

Michele said...

Just stopping by from seeing you featured on Finest Foodies Friday. I'm a Cleveland girl myself. I've been living in New Jersey for the last two years and I'm still homesick! Your curry looks lovely! I would have never thought of the gooseberries...but potatoes and curry are one of my favorite combinations. I just have to say that your photography is beautiful! Great blog. :-)

Natalie Que said...

Wow, Jenn was right! You are extremely creative! I just clicked over from FFF, great blog!

maybelles mom said...

Sarah (Hill Trash): oh yes, do try it with unripe ground cherries. But, maybe add a little tamarind or lime juice. And, thanks for the compliment.

OhioMom: They are not real popular. I usually find them at Miles FM

Dragon: Thanks.

Lina: Thanks and it was very summery.

Nikki Miller-Ka: Thanks for coming by.

Sophie: Thanks for coming by too.

Michele: Thanks for the visit and the compliments. I bet you could take out the gooseberries and make this with just the potatoes.

hot garlic: thank you for visiting and the compliment.

Srivalli said...

Thats such a lovely one MM...never made this..