Sunday, August 17, 2008

Chocolate Covered Ground Cherries

Ground Cherries
A few years ago at the market, I came upon ground cherries. The purveyor explained that they used it for pies and preserves. After one taste, I was sold. In form, they are like mini-tomatillos; in flavor they are like fruit punch. That first time, I had a plan to make a pie. But, by the time I got home, I had eaten the whole box. In fact, I have yet to grow enough self-restraint to retain my fruits long enough to make a pie. (Perhaps I should take my pie crust to the market? Or lock the ground cherries in the trunk)

But, this year, I did keep them long enough to dip them in chocolate. I had seen this in idea in Coffee and Vanilla; though I dipped them in melted semi-sweet chocolate rather than using Margot’s recipe. These delicious (and sort of healthy) treats were good hostess gift for our visit to our CSA.
Ground Cherries
Ground Cherries


Coffee and Vanilla said...

Delicious!! I still want to try them with milk chocolate... yours look beautiful :)


OhioMom said...

I am trying so hard to eat healthy, and here you are with chocolate and cherries :)

Those look yummy!

Sophie said...

Woah! Fruit punch, really? I wonder if I can get ahold of some of these over here, this sounds ammmazing! I'm addicted and I haven't even had the first bite yet :D.

Maggie said...

I'll be looking out for these. The milk chocolate sounds so good on them!

Jude said...

Looks great -- they look a lot like cape gooseberries but the skin looks different. Maybe they're distant cousins.

maybelle's mom said...

Margot from Coffee and Vanilla: thanks for visiting

OhioMom: doesn't fruit make this healthy.

Sophie: I swear. Thats what they taste like to me.

Maggie: I bet you should be getting them soon. Here they seem to be an Amish thing.

Jude: Yes, they are cousins. As are those Japanese Lantern plants.

Zoe Francois said...

What a wonderful treat! So creative and yet so simple. Can't wait to get my hands on some of these.

Chris said...

They look so cute with their paper husks left on. I will have to try this this summer since I seem to have a never-ending supply of ground cherries.