Sunday, August 17, 2008

Chocolate Covered Ground Cherries

Ground Cherries
A few years ago at the market, I came upon ground cherries. The purveyor explained that they used it for pies and preserves. After one taste, I was sold. In form, they are like mini-tomatillos; in flavor they are like fruit punch. That first time, I had a plan to make a pie. But, by the time I got home, I had eaten the whole box. In fact, I have yet to grow enough self-restraint to retain my fruits long enough to make a pie. (Perhaps I should take my pie crust to the market? Or lock the ground cherries in the trunk)

But, this year, I did keep them long enough to dip them in chocolate. I had seen this in idea in Coffee and Vanilla; though I dipped them in melted semi-sweet chocolate rather than using Margot’s recipe. These delicious (and sort of healthy) treats were good hostess gift for our visit to our CSA.
Ground Cherries
Ground Cherries

8 comments:

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Delicious!! I still want to try them with milk chocolate... yours look beautiful :)

Margot

OhioMom said...

I am trying so hard to eat healthy, and here you are with chocolate and cherries :)

Those look yummy!

Sophie said...

Woah! Fruit punch, really? I wonder if I can get ahold of some of these over here, this sounds ammmazing! I'm addicted and I haven't even had the first bite yet :D.

Maggie said...

I'll be looking out for these. The milk chocolate sounds so good on them!

Anonymous said...

Looks great -- they look a lot like cape gooseberries but the skin looks different. Maybe they're distant cousins.

maybelles mom said...

Margot from Coffee and Vanilla: thanks for visiting

OhioMom: doesn't fruit make this healthy.

Sophie: I swear. Thats what they taste like to me.

Maggie: I bet you should be getting them soon. Here they seem to be an Amish thing.

Jude: Yes, they are cousins. As are those Japanese Lantern plants.

Zoe Francois said...

What a wonderful treat! So creative and yet so simple. Can't wait to get my hands on some of these.

Chris said...

They look so cute with their paper husks left on. I will have to try this this summer since I seem to have a never-ending supply of ground cherries.