Monday, August 25, 2008

Chipotle Peaches and Mint Jalapeno Cream Cupcakes

DSC_0061

I have always wanted to participate in Cupcake Hero (because they have the coolest logo in town) but somehow keep missing the deadline. So I decided to get in on the game with the jalapeno challenge. Apparently because I love lost causes?

These were actually quite tasty though I would say the candied jalapeno is not baby friendly. (Still had a kick.) A moment after this picture I grabbed the jalapeno out of that adorable hand. DSC_0028

Chipotle Peach Sponge Cupcake
based on the plain cupcake recipe at Cookie Madness
Mix:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 T brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons melted butter (slightly cooled)
1/2 t ginger powder
1/4 t chipotle powder

Mix:
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Yolk of 1 egg, room temperature
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/4 cup peach puree

Mix the wet into the dry. Set aside.

In a blender, beat 2 egg whites until soft peaks

Fold the egg whites into the batter. Be careful not to deflate the batter.

Fill greased mini-cupcake tins until almost full. (Makes 14 mini-cupcakes)

Bake at 375 for 7 minutes. (in a convection oven)


Jalapeno Mint Cream Frosting
In a blender, puree
4-6 leaves mint
1/4 inch piece jalapeno diced

Add:
6 T cream cheese
2 T sour cream
3 T sugar
1 pinch salt

Top with Candied Jalapeno

Candied Jalapeno
Cut 1 jalapeno into cross-sections
Create a simple syrup from 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Add the jalapenos and boil for a 3 minutes. Remove and cool and repeat with same sugar. It might take 3 dips in the sugar syrup to be candied.

DSC_0049

13 comments:

Sophie said...

These are so awesome and original! I could not, for the life of me, think up a recipe...I think I'm going to pass up this month's. So cool, I really like the way you put the frosting on there!

Simone said...

Those sound very interesting and delicious. I will definitely have to try these. Thanks!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

What an innovative, enticing recipe!

test it comm said...

These cupcakes sound so good! I really like the sound of using jalapenos in them!

Caroline S. said...

WHOA...these cupcakes are gorgeous. I am still attempting to hone my icing skills and experiment with savory ingredients, and I look to you as my inspiration. Vegan cupcakes WILL take over the world, and I imagine jalepeno cupcakes will be on the front lines.

Helene said...

Now that's what I call creative! Well done!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

This is genius. But then you already know that. ;)

Maggie said...

These look delicious! I really like the idea of mint and jalapeno together and the candied slice of jalapeno is so pretty.

Anonymous said...

these cupcakes sounds soo good! i would have never of thought of jalepeno cupcakes!!!

thanks for visiting my blog!!!

Kirby! said...

wowzers, the cupcake world is getting so caliente!

maybelles mom said...

Sophie: thanks, and I think it was a hard one. I was picking between two ideas and these just seemed easier.

Simone: Do try them. Though I bet they would make a nice cocktail, huh?

VeggieGirl: Thanks and thanks for visiting.

Kevin: Thanks.

mixtape cupcakes: I think you should do a vegan jalapeno cupcake!


Tartelette: Thanks and thanks for visiting.

[eatingclub] vancouver || js: Right back at you J.

Maggie: Thanks. Wouldn't it be a fun party with all the chilli and jalapeno cupcakes?

Tasty Trends: Right back at you about visiting. And do try these.

Kirby!: Life is always caliente around here, not just the cupcakes.

Michael @ Herbivoracious.com said...

Wacky! I've been down the sweet/savory cupcake road too. Fun to get outta the box eh?

Elise's Kitchen said...

You are officially my cupcake hero!