Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Carrots in Yogurt Sauce

Carrots in Yoghurt
We have a had a very bizzarre thing happen in our garden this year. First, I should say that having a child only further separates one's ideal life and one's actual life. We planned to put in a big garden to produce all sort of veggies to fill up Belle's belly. This was our ideal life. In real life, work was so crazy that we ended up with a CSA and farmers market (plus most evening running around after the baby). We do have herbs, oh so much fennel, tomatoes and peppers.

What we did not plant is carrots. Our soil isn't really sandy enough for sizable carrots; or so I thought. I should be clear. We don't remember planting carrots. Unless there is a carrot fairy wandering purposefully through Cleveland, or a large amount of carrot seeds were transported to our yard via the thick fur of a deer, we must have planted carrot seeds. But, then, thanks to sleep deprication, we forgot about the carrots. Finally, the other day, I was sitting out front watching Belle play, and I investigated the carrot like weed. It turns out we were gardeners and we didn't know it. Go figure.

So for the first of our carrots, we steamed them and dress them with a garlicky yoghurt zataar sauce. It was slightly pungent and tasty.
carrots

3 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

We were never very successful with growing carrots or beets in our garden.....but everything else was prolific!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OhioMom said...

I have heard of volunteer plants in the flower garden, but this is the first I have heard of a "volunteer veggie" ... totally cool!

I love carrots, and this sauce sounds delish.

maybelles mom said...

bellini valli, benign neglect can work.

Ohiomom, oddities and rule breaking abounds at my house.