Sunday, July 6, 2008

Icebox Experiment: Cherry Lychee Rice Pudding

Cherry Lychee Rice Pudding
Well, it hasn't been much of a cooking weekend. Instead, I have been doing my other hobby--wasting time. Alas, this is a blog about actions and not inactions, so what did we eat? Well, I had serious veggie sushi dreams yesterday. But, I left the rice to steam way too long. (A Harry Potter movie marathon is an embarrassing reason to mess up sushi).

Overcooking rice is a serious offense if you ask me. So, as my husband debated what we could do with this rice (spinach rice, congee, rice patties, rice pancakes), I decided to take things into mine own hands.
Cherry Lychee Rice Pudding
With a surplus of condensed milk, it felt only right to show this mistreated rice some love by turning it into kheer. Kheer is rice pudding with a serious sugar problem and a staple of Indian restaurants and homes.

To make, I sauteed the rice in butter, until bits were golden, added condensed milk, a sprinkle of sugar (overkill is good), a cardamom pod or two. And, then near the end, I added a bit of lychee juice. I served it with some homemade cherry/pink pepper preserves and fresh lychee.

This was such a big hit that I barely had time to photograph it before it was consumed. (Or else, I was getting some seriously hands on criticism of my food styling.)

Cherry Lychee Rice Pudding

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful! And lovely little cups to serve it in.

glamah16 said...

That looks and sounds amazing. I have been seeing fresh lychee and need to get some.

Peter M said...

Lychees in rice pudding sounds fabulous...Maybelles wee toes in the rice pudding, not so good! lol

Lore said...

Isn't it great when you turn a faux pas into a delicious must? Love it!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Ooh... I made rice pudding last week and wished I came across this sooner. What a great way to jazz up rice pudding!

Anonymous said...

I love lychees... Would never think of pairing it with cherries so this is really interesting.

Jen Yu said...

What a glorious combination! I never would have thought of it, and now... it's all I have on my mind :) Looks terrific.