Sunday, July 6, 2008

Cherry Preserves of Three Sorts


In a whirlwind this afternoon, after three days as a lotus eater, I set to preserving all those cherries I bought. I wanted to make the sour cherry kumquat marmalade that I read about at Hill Trash, but alak the kumquats were too expensive.


So instead, I made a straight cherry preserves for which I am afraid I can give no recipe. I basically cooked the cherries, added ground pink pepper, kept adding sugar until it was sweet, and finished with some pectin. When it passed the cold plate test, I put it in a jar. I have since (it has been about 30 minutes since the preserves were complete, mind you) eaten it combined with some kumquat marmalade, big faker that I am.


So that takes care of two types of cherry preserves. Now for the third. Shall I glace? I have major panetonne dreams. About every August, I ask my husband if his dear departed Nonna made this Christmas bread. And, then for two-three months (depending on his fortitude), he reminds me his Nonna had too many children, too much work, and too little money for such things. And, why does it draw me? For the shear challenge, of course. And, wouldn't it be ideal to make panetonne with homemade glace fruits? I have never eaten a single glace fruit. (Nope no fruitcake either.) And, it does look odd, but by the 14th century there were whole towns in Europe famous for their fruit jewels. So, what if I make but a handful? Any votes yeah or neah. Anyone made them?

10 comments:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Such gorgeousness! Yes, I really had to use that word, it looks lovely!

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you! This makes up for my rejection non-letter and then some.

OhioMom said...

Those preserves look so good ... I have never made glace fruit, but I have made fruitcake :)

Cynthia said...

I love everything you're doing with the cherries.

Chibog in Chief said...

fresh cherries are good,, but preserving them is even better!! love it !! guess i'll have to do the same with the rest of cherries in the rest garden!

Rowena said...

I have never made them, not being too fond of the edible jewels myself. I say yeah!

SandyCarlson said...

This looks delicious. Your photo makes my mouth water.

Thanks for stopping by--yes, the St. Rose carnival!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous preserves! I like to make jams with oranges (might be a good substitute for the kumquats). The naturally-occurring pectin in the orange rind causes it to jell beautifully.

Nora B. said...

oh that looks soooo good. I luuuurve cherries. Been known to eat big bowl full daily when it's in season. It never makes it as jam around me. When it's no cherry season (now for us down under), I buy cherry preserves. Yours looks so good 'cos it's full of cherries.

nora

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm homemade cherry preserves! Looks delicious. I'd love adding it to scones.