Sunday, October 12, 2008

Cherry Tomato Summer Pudding

Not everything about the Trick or Treat dinner worked. The Summer Pudding definitely didn’t. I think the issue was somewhat cultural. None of the guests had eaten a summer pudding. (Read Posh and Becks discussion of puddings if you have no idea what I am talking about.)

The other issue was texture. It thought it would be like panzanella. I used day old roasted garlic bread, filled it with tomatoes, basil and olive oil, and then covered it with tomato paste vinaigrette (to give it that red look.) The tomatoes were homegrown and yum, but the bread was, well, nasty. Alas, you can’t get it all right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear your summer pudding didn't go down so well, but I have to say the idea certainly appeals, I mean, tomato, basil, garlic, olive oil, sounds delish, not so sure about the tomato paste viniagrette though even if the bread hadn't been nasty. I think you have inspired me though as I am a bit of a lover of summer pudding, as in the traditional variety and often do it for tea parties for my little girls and their friends. I'm going to try your idea but will use pesto instead of the viniagrette. You never know, might work huh.