Sunday, October 12, 2008

Trick or Treat: Dessert for Dinner

trickortreat10
Tomfoolery is one lovely word. It sounds wonderful coming off the tongue but also the word connotes good-hearted, well-intentioned foolin’. My in-laws were in town this weekend, and as they have a good sense of humor, we decided to make an all dessert dinner. The concept started with Cakespy’s FANTASTIC trompe l’oeil dinner for Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24. Instead of dinner made of dessert we went with dessert made from dinner. The one caveat was that the whole dinner needed fairly easy to make (1 hour on Friday night then 2.5 hours during naptime.) W

How did the game go down? On Saturday morning, we went to get pumpkins and enjoy the glorious fall weather. ‘Dinner would be a dream come true’ was a phrase casually tossed around during the outing. When the consideration was made to purchase a fresh pumpkin pie, we retorted there will be plenty of dessert. Then at home a mad dash of cooking and piping. Everything was ready and set at the table when the in-laws came over for dinner. The formal dining room is nicely tucked away preventing any sightlines. The call came for dinner and there was a gasp of joy (dessert as the main) and then laughter (main as the main.) So, in fact, my mother in law was not upset at all; though she did have a twinge of disappointment.

All in all, the food was delicious, but it did made me come to ponder the lack of fiber in many baked desserts (not that I ever really thought they were fiber-filled.) To get all the creams to the correct consistency; everything had to be pureed and strained. I know the broccoli trifle was fairly obvious as broccoli, and in fact, I had a vague plan for vegetable jello originally, but then I couldn’t bear feeding my guests so much soft food. Another success was that many meat-lovers really enjoyed my 4 bean loaf, so that always makes me happy.

So what was the menu?

Two layered 4 bean "cake" topped in mashed potato, mashed sweet potato, radish confetti, and peas
trickortreat5
trickortreat18

Corn bread cupcakes with beet/ hummus buttercream
beetcupcakes

Trifle with curried madeleines, broccoli salad, and beet/ yoghurt pudding
trickortreat13

Baked Alaska (meatloafs with mashed potatoes)
trickortreat16
trickortreat19

Cherry Tomato Summer Pudding
trickortreat9

Thanks Cakespy for the inspiration.

15 comments:

Chocolate Shavings said...

That cake totally fooled me until I read your title. Great job!

Ashley said...

Absolutely Devious! I LOVE IT!!

Cakespy said...

This is the awesomest thing I have ever seen! Totally yin-yang!!! I love them all but the cake and Baked Alaska...sheer brilliance!

The CFT said...

Finally, Cleveland's answer to Michel Richard!

FOODalogue said...

Maybelle is one lucky kid. This is such fun, so creative and exceptionally well-done!

grace said...

bravo! this is an amazing spread--i'm in awe of your ingenuity and execution. it's an understatement, but i'll say it anyway--nicely done. :)

Manggy said...

Whoa, that is so clever! My favorite one would have to be the baked alaskas, though :) (I love meatloaf!)

michael, claudia and sierra said...

get the hell outa here
too much
TOO MUCH

this post was brilliant
damn girl, that's a ton o work!

test it comm said...

Those look great! I like the idea of "dessert" for dinner.

Anonymous said...

This was gorgeous!! I love your creativity with food. And that beety hummus looks so good I wish I could wear it.

glamah16 said...

Now that was briliant. Your an artist.

Anonymous said...

what a knockout meal. That cake, well, it takes the cake!

Nurit "1 family. friendly. food." said...

WOW. This is fantastic. I am going to try and do the baked alaska. This is soooo cool.

Border Life said...

FABULOUS! Very very cool. Where can I find the tomato pudding recipe?

Anonymous said...

I'd love to try this. Can you share the recipes?