Friday, May 23, 2008

Warm Mango Raspberry Oatmeal Smoothie

mango smoothie

Motherhood contains with it a certain amount of grossness. The newest “eew” to me is hand, foot and mouth disease which should really be called “erupting sores all over disease.” Lost your appetite yet? Well, let me tell you, as there were some nasty suckers in her mouth, Belle sure did. And, frankly, thinking about those sores also made me loose mine. We have both been housebound for the last couple days, because I do not want to go down in history as the mother of Typhoid Maybelle.

I have been cooking soft food and pacing. I had dreams that my culinary results would be both enticing and curative. Of course, as she hasn’t eat anything I have made since Wednesday, excluding white rice and some mango oatmeal smoothie. It does indicate the power of the slightly warm oatmeal smoothie.

This smoothie is becoming a common blue plate (mug?) breakfast special here. It is full of good things (calcium, whole grains, fruit, fiber); it takes less than 10 minutes to make; and it is adorable when being slurped by a sickly toddler. And, it is of course good for me, too.

I have been fairly quiet about my identity, but I lets just say I am over thirty, Asian, and thin—the trifecta when it comes to osteoporosis. My cousin, freshly certifiable and a doctor, claims thirty years of milk consumption are not enough to counteract these risk factors, years of physical inactivity, and high caffeine consumption. In other words, I am about to hobble down a very painful road if I don’t take care of myself. My weight bearing exercise right now is the daily activity of lugging around 21 pounds of lovin’, but that is more than I did two years ago.

The food as medicine portion, including consuming calcium and whole grains, is much easier, tastier and enjoyable. And, this oatmeal smoothie is one great medicine. Heck, even a sore-ridden toddler agrees to that.

I have included this in the osteoporosis event by Food Blogga. Since I saw it listed, I knew that I should make a good faith effort to not only be part of the event but also read all the entries--for my health and belle's.
mango smoothie

Recipe/Plan
Oatmeal Smoothie

Make one serving of oatmeal (not instant and not steel cut) according to the package directions

In a blender, whizz until crushed
1/3 cup frozen fruit (I used raspberries and mangoes)

Once the fruit is crushed add:
1/3 cup plain Greek-style yogurt (I used fat-free)

Whizz. Add soymilk to get the smoothie to the right consistency.

Pour 1/2 the oatmeal, when slightly cooled, into a tall mug, and spoon fruit over the oatmeal.


Makes two adult portions

3 comments:

test it comm said...

I like the idea of adding oatmeal to a smoothie.

amycaseycooks said...

Looks like an excellent idea for breakfast. I will definately give this recipe a try.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Well, you took my two favorite breakfasts and combined them, so I think it's safe to say I would love this! I hope your little one is better soon. Give her a hug for me. And thanks a bunch for your entry!

Cheers,
Susan