Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mango Jam

Asthma sucks! Yesterday, I had to go home from work early thanks to my over-acheiving airways. (Something about me has to achieve above averagely.) And, as I was running out of work to go home, I realized I had a meeting I couldn't miss. Luckily, I have friends who step in.

As I was lying on the couch coughing, my husband whipped up some cookies to give my friend and filled them with a quick mango jam that we had at home. For the jam, we used the recipe at Mahanandi, but we added 1 pod of cardamom to the pot. I also put in 1 tsp of pectin to make this set up more. Rather than a jam, this recipe is sort of a preserve.
For the cookies, we used a recipe from Veganomicon--but we baked them only 7 minutes. I have made these cookies before, but I remembered that I put it 1 T more oil than the recipe, only 2 t of rose water, and I rolled them out very thick (1/4 inch). They are sweet but match the slightly sour mango preserves.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mango jam looks delicious! I am intrigued to make it. OFf to read the recipe:)

maybelles mom said...

Farida, thanks for the visit. this is easy and satisfying and I just used it to make madeleines, so it is super versatile.

Anonymous said...

vegan animal crackers. hee hee!

Anonymous said...

I love mango, and your jam and cookies look so inviting!
that last picture? A+, too!