Sunday, March 9, 2008

Swiss Chard Stem, Potato, Preserved Meyer Lemon Pot Pie


I had read a nice recipe for Swiss chard stem gratin in Modern Beet and I had sort of planned to do it in the future when I get enough stems to make a main course of it. But, today, I was hungry and wanted a warm lunch. There were odd and ends in the fridge, and I knew if baked with everything with vegetable stock, the whole thing would be much tastier than any one element. The result was a yummy vegan pot pie (though the one in the photograph is vegetarian because it had an egg wash.) As it happens, there is a pot pie, or rather tiny savory pie, event at Mini Pie Revolution, though I didn't include this in it, because I felt it was too much from Modern Beet to be my own, alone creation.

Recipe
Swiss Chard and Potato Pot Pie

Combine and then split between 4 oven safe bowls the following:
2 Swiss Chard stems cut very finely
1 baking potato, julienned
½ small onion, julienned
2 t chopped preserved meyer lemon

Mix the following until a slurry is formed
2 T flour
¼ cup of soy milk

Pour ¼ of the floury milk into each bowl and then add enough vegetable stock to hit the level of the vegetables. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes uncovered.

Then top with the vegan pie crust and bake at 375 until golden brown.

No comments: