Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tofu Galbi Sandwich, the Recipe








My husband tells me that the tone of my last post was far too fleeting, a veritable floating world. So, this one will be more concrete, practical, full of hope, and empowering. After all, isn't that what a recipe is for? It is the plan to recreate something exactly as it was done before. That is very forward-looking and positive.

As I said, my goal for the tofu was sweet and salty with a faint charred barbeque taste. Next time I do this, I will make them with Heinen's whole wheat hot dog rolls so that I have a good vessel for the toppings.

This is a recipe that made me dream of that finger torturing device, the mandolin. I had one, but have misplaced it. In fact, this recipe also involved my least favorite kitchen tool, the grater. As a kid, my mother would make me grate carrot for salads. While not a fearful child by nature, I did it picturing my fingers being shredded.



Recipe:
Tofu Galbi Sandwich
In a small bowl, marinade:
3 T white vinegar
1 pinch sugar
1/2 small red onion sliced very thin
In a cast-iron grill pan, on medium high, grill:
extra firm tofu, lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices

In another cast-iron skillet, sautee
1 cup mushrooms, quartered

Remove mushrooms and set aside. In that same skillet, sautee
very finely sliced butternut squash (or kobocha squash)
3 t crushed garlic

Remove and set aside the squash. In that skillet, simmer:
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup Soy Vay Teriyaki Sauce
1/4 cup catsup
1/4 cup apple sauce or diced pear
1/4 cup A1 Steak Sauce
1 pinch chilli powder

When the mixture is warm, add the grilled tofu, and heat until the sauce is thickened. At the same time, julienne
1 carrot (or 1/2 yellow carrot & 1/2 orange carrot)
1 4 inch piece of english cucumber

For each sandwich, compile
1 whole wheat bun
1 piece barbequed tofu
4-5 pieces squash

Offer the cucumer, carrots, quick-pickled onions, arugula (if available), shredded iceberg (yes, iceberg), remaining sauce at the table for diners to place on their sandwiches.

Bahn-chan style Potato Salad
Boil, microwave or roast
1 lb potatoes

Shred and reserve
1 carrot
2-3 small Jerusalem artichokes

Mash the potatoes when warm and add
1 T margarine
1/4 cup soy milk
1 T soy yoghurt
1 T mustard
1-2 T rice vinegar

Serve warm or cold


No comments: