Saturday, November 1, 2008

Recipes to Rival: Potato and Long Bean Rendang

DSC07449

Many years ago, I was running down a London street attempting to return to my dorm before the rain. In my time in London, I never got used to carry an umbrella (still don't.) However, there was some assuring futility in this exercise; I would duck into a cheap restaurant as soon the rain would start.

On one such rainy evening, I found myself in an Indonesian restaurant. I can't remember what I ate, though I think it was a sort of grilled chicken curry, but what I do remember is that the flavors were facinating. Indian and the various South East Asian cuisines seem to combine the same or similar ingredients to get various different results. For example, in my deeply un-familiar mind, while Indonesian and Malaysian food and Thai food share coconut in common, the former has a full-bodied heartiness and the latter a light, lilting sweetness.

This month for Recipes to Rival, we were making Beef Rendang; a dish prepared in Indonesia and Malaysia. For my part, I subbed out the meat and made potato and long bean rendang--basically, I took the recipe and subbed meat with vegetables. With the help of a food processor, the prep time on this dish was fast, and the vegetarian version had a shorter cooking time than the beef version. Great recipe for cold weather, if you ask me.

For more renditions, go to the Recipes to Rival blogroll.

DSC07431

DSC07444

14 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I like your story. I was entering stores when rain was hitting. Great dish.

Lori said...

I am going to make it with potatoes next time. I really enjoyed the flavors in this dish. ANd your right about Indian and Thai in relation to cocont. I never thought about it but you said it right.

Alexa said...

I have never tried this dish but I love indonesian flavors. I'll have to give it a try. I have a lot of potatoes from the farm which have been awaiting the right recipe. :-)

Anonymous said...

This sounds amazing! What a great recipe.

Peter M said...

I discovered these long green beans also grow on the Greek islands and I see them at Asian markets here too.

This dish has goodness written all over it.

Lori Lynn said...

Oh, I bet this was a most flavorful vegetable dish!
I like your red and white bowl too.

Thistlemoon said...

That looks great! I know I would certainly make any excuse (like "it is raining and I don't have an umby") to enjoy some of it!

Temperance said...

I agree with Lori Lynn, The bowl is gorgeous. But I also like the way those beans look. What a great Idea. :)

test it comm said...

I like the sound of a vegetable rendang.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I've never understood umbrellas. It's just rain. ;)

I like the idea of a potato and long bean rendang. Been wanting to make beef rendang for a long time, but I guess that would have to wait longer.

Anonymous said...

Rendang with beef is so frighteningly fatty...and you know, I am certain, how I feel about South East Asian flavours.

'Light, lilting sweetness'. Yes please.

Sophie said...

I like the idea of using veggies over meat for this dish. Creating flavorful dishes with just veggies is always exciting :D, I always run out of ideas when it comes to veggies!

glamah16 said...

I thought I was theonly one that doesnt carry and umbrealla. I have to try this as I love long beans and spice.

Kana said...

I like rendang .. a lot. I had my fill on my recent trip home!