Monday, October 19, 2009

Kobocha Squash Naan

DSC_0428

I have been trying to write my final post for #eaton30 since last night. (Confused, go to @runningwithtweezers to learn more.)

I wanted to write something poetic but the truth is just too ugly. Here it is plain and simple—I am damn thankful that I don’t have to choose between feeding myself and my daughter, that I always have food in my pantry, that I have never worried about where my next meal will come from. I can't imagine what it is like to look into your child's eyes and tell her there is nothing to eat. I can't imagine how hard you must need to hold them against you when their bellies are growling in hunger. And, it is a cruel injustice in this world that some of us are lucky enough to get to spend time elevating food to joy and extravagance while some don’t even get to use it for sustenance. With the jobless recovery, it will be a long winter in America (globally too); consider donating to your local food bank.

If you are dying to know how we did with the challenge, we ended up $8 under budget but because we had dinner with family Friday and Saturday for free. I thought I would leave you with what we did with the last of our homemade yogurt and kobocha squash.

DSC_0438

Recipe
Kobocha Squash and Potato Naan:

Serve warm with some curry like or top with potato baaji, some achar, tomato paste, an egg, and cheddar cheese to make a perfect brunch dish.

In a stand mixer with a hook attachment add:
4 cups flour
1 cup mashed squash
1/4 cup potato
2 t yeast (my husband says we could have done 1.5 t, you decide.)
1 t sugar
1 t salt
2 T yogurt
1/4 cup water
2 T oil

Knead well.

Let rest 3 hours. Punch down. Split into 6-8 equal sections, pull into thin oblong pieces. Bake one by one for 2.5 minutes on a pizza stone that has been heated to 550 F. (We preheated the oven to 550 for 1/2 hour.)

This is my entry for yeastspotting from Wild Yeast.

23 comments:

Heather S-G said...

It's beautiful. The writing and the food :)

shaz said...

Your eaton30 posts have been very thought provoking (and conscience pricking). We are indeed blessed and lucky that we get a chance to enjoy food instead of worrying about where the next meal is coming from. Thanks.

chakhlere said...

Nan looks so yummy!! Will try it soon!

Anonymous said...

Naan with a sunny side up!!!! I have never seen anyting like that before. Wonderful idea!

FoodJunkie said...

I can't even imagine what it would be like not to have enough food for my child. The mere thought brings tears to my eyes. However, I believe that it is high time we re-think the way we shop and our budgets, not only because of the crisis or world hunger, but also because it is ethical to utilize all ingredients and respect them for what they are. This way one has diversity on the table and a healthy diet. I am always appalled by how much my friends throw away. I usually find ways to re-use last nights dinner. This way not only we eat for less, but we don't pile the pounds either!

grace said...

ah, more kabocha squash. excellent. this is an unexpected use for it, and i'd be delighted to taste the finished product!
i echo your sentiments regarding being appreciative of knowing there'll be food in the belly tonight. i only have to worry about myself for now, but i can't imagine how terrible i'd feel to be unable to feed my child. gak.

NKP said...

That is wonderful! I have never made naan before - I love that you made it with squash.

Chou said...

Lovely. RE food and hunger and the pain of not having enough, I just finished reading Closing the Food Gap by Mark Winne, which argues fairly convincingly that we need to be putting a fair amount of effort into lobbying for structural change if we really want to keep people from going hungry. I'd never thought about it that way before. Someone suggested that I read Sweet Charity, too, since many of Winne's arguments are based off of that book. So if you have some free time (ha), let me know your take after reading one or both of them.

hailskitchen said...

Very poetic and very right on. I'm grateful for this challenge for introducing me to folks like you :)

Frenchie said...

I actually just posted about naan, it is such a good base for different flavor combinations, I absolutely love it. This sounds really delicious, a fried egg cracked over the top is just my type of thing.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this naan looks super delicious! I would love to make this very soon, my daughter really loves all kinds of naan!

we are never full said...

well said... i don't have kids (yet) but i can only imagine knowing someone you love can't get the important necessities for living. i do sometimes feel a small bit of guilt every once in awhile for how well me and jonny eat. i know once we have kids we'll prob. have to stop buying some things (ingredient-wise) we like to indulge in b/c, well, money will be for other imp. things. but, i do take it for granted that i'm even able to eat at all. thanks for making me pause to think!

and, yes, give to your local food banks, or at least give of your time or money! just give back!

this really looks lovely - i gotta do more things w/ squash. it really does go a long way.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What an original recipe! That naan look so pretty! wonderful!

Cheers,

Rosa

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

We really are lucky to have food on the table for our families. Trying to cook on an extreme budget is a real eyeopener.

Bombay-Bruxelles said...

So true what you say! And it's nice to illustrate it with a yummy dish that easy on the environment :-)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Wow this is gorgeous. Looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding us that our local food banks need us. And they do; if we are fortunate, let us share, for none of us knows the hour that we may become one in need.

Kudos to you. I love your writing.

Alicia Foodycat said...

It looks very professional - I've never tried to make naan but I really should!

We really do have a lot to be grateful for, it's good to be reminded.

Marisa said...

Just made this. And coming from a first-time breadmaker this is one of the tastiest breads I've ever eaten! It is just meltingly soft and fluffy and all sorts of awesome.

Thank you so much for the recipe - will DEFINITELY be making this again!

Lori said...

THis here dish is sucha beauty. I would love to try this.

Johanna GGG said...

I have just read all your $30 challenge posts (as my blog reader has been behind) and am in awe of your commitment - and am thankful for your reminder of how lucky we are to be able to give some much to our children

am bookmarking this naan with intention of trying it if I get organised (which doesn't happen often enough with yeast)

Navah Moore said...

What is the blue/purple stuff on the naan? I cannot figure it out.

Thanks!

Navah Moore said...

What is that blue/purple stuff on the naan? I cannot figure it out...

Thanks!