Monday, April 14, 2008

Kumquat Glazed Chicken

So, one Saturday, we got nuts and made too much marmalade. Too much, you say. Well, more than I think we could consume as a preserves. So, what to do? Kumquat-glazed chicken, of course. A Sunday Roast Chicken was a given for a while, but now with the goal of 80/20 vegetarian food, it is much more rare. But, apparently the free-range chicken looked very good at the market on Saturday, so it was sitting there in the fridge waiting to be cooked.

I had considered cutting it into pieces, but frankly I didn’t want to expend the energy cooking when the alternative was dancing with Belle. After massaging the bird with olive oil and kosher salt and filling the cavity with oldish oranges, I roasted it at 300 degrees for a while. My husband and I made carrot, rutabaga and acorn squash fingers that we roasted at 400. (Spring vegetables are just beginning to arrive in diet).

And, then, we all danced and danced to a variety of songs from the Peel Sessions—we have had the Buzzcocks in our heads all weekend.

When the chicken was finished, I quartered it and then basted it with the kumquat glaze. I placed it on an extremely hot grill pan and then reglazed it. The result was very nice—not too cloying. I have some chicken left today and I think tonight I will use it to top a salad. If I was so inclined, this glazed chicken would be a great filling for homemade egg rolls (served with more dipping sauce and some hot mustard.) The glaze also tasted wonderful on the roasted vegetables. I might glaze some tofu with it tomorrow. There is a kumquat round-up at Coffee & Vanilla for the Fruit of the Month event, and I thought to enter the marmalade, but I felt my recipe was too close to Charcuterista’s kumquat marmalade. So, instead, I decided to send them this glaze instead.

Recipe:
Kumquat-Lime Glaze

Combine and simmer until thick and syrupy:
1.5 cups kumquat-lime marmalade
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 cup chicken drippings from a roast chicken or 1 cup chicken stock
¼ cup catsup
3 T ginger
1 T garlic



3 comments:

Coffee and Vanilla said...

What a great idea! I have some kumquat marmalade in my fridge so I may try your recipe very soon :) Thank you for your entry!

Margot

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Hi,

Just a short note to let you know that April's AFAM (Kumquats) round-up is now online:

http://www.coffeeandvanilla.com/?p=2213

Margot

Anonymous said...

The chicken looks absolutely mouthwatering! What a great use for the kumquat marmalade; I'm feeling inspired...