Sunday, April 27, 2008

Daring Bakers Cheesecake Pops



Last weekend, my husband and I dared to bake vegan and non-vegan cheesecake pops. For the sweettarts amongst you, it might seem that I need no impetus to do so, but it was actually thanks to the fact that we have joined daring bakers. The challenge, chosen by Deborah from Taste and Tell and Elle from Feeding My Enthusiasms , was to make Cheesecake Pops from Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey by Jill O’Connor.

The goal of Daring Baker’s is for the whole food blog world to the replicate the recipe. This is not a redundancy. Recipes, and for that matter directions, have always struck me as a suggestion; that is in part why I write up my recipes in the Joy of Cooking action-recipe format.

On one quiet Friday evening, my husband and I tried to not think about work and instead drowned our sorrows in cheesecake. I made a ½ recipe of dairy cheesecake pops and my husband made the vegan. I took this recipe from versions posted at NovelEats adapted from Fat Free Vegan.

All pops, dairy and non-dairy, were yummy; though the ones that were rolled in graham cracker prior to their chocolate bath were more enjoyable. As my husband said, we have learned how important that crust was.

My husband and I are essentially deviants, and so there are few small changes: first, we made a few small pops (diameter of a quarter) and second we made some with pretzels for the sticks. This was a simply fantastic change.





37 comments:

Honey Pickles said...

I love your idea of the pretzel for the stick. Your pops came out very nice.

Jerry said...

How cute! Love the pretzel! Its art!

Anonymous said...

They look fantastic (and yummy) - so honored you used my recipe. :) And glad you liked it too!

~Samantha from NovelEats.com

Maggie said...

The pretzel stick sounds really tasty and I love the idea of adding crumbs under the chocolate. I think I missed the graham cracker crust a lot.

Shelby said...

Love the pretzel stick idea! Nothing like a little salty to mix with the sweet! Pretty Pops!

Deborah said...

A pretzel stick is a wonderful idea! They look great!

strawberriesinparis said...

Yeah the pretzel is awesome! and you are definitely channeling Jackson Pollock on yours!

desie said...

oh i just looove the colours. i will have to try a vegan version soon.

Kristen said...

I love that you made two versions. Could you tell the difference? They all look so yummy. I like that you used a pretzel as the stick. I love salty with sweet, what a great idea!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What pretty pops! I love the decorations! Very well done!

Cheers,

Rosa

Pixie said...

I'm sure those pretzel sticks tasted wonderful-very creative, well done to you both on your first challenge!

Y said...

I like the idea of rolling them in crumbs first. Good for texture, seeing as the cheesecake is quite squishy by itself.

Rosie said...

I just loooove those colours!! Great idea to use pretzel - well done on your challenge :)

Rosie x

Deeba PAB said...

How pretty the pops are...love the pastel & WOW to your idea of using pretzels as sticks!! Great challenge; well done!!

Unknown said...

I think the pretzel stick is a great idea - I bet they would have been good crushed up on the outside of the chocolate too... yum!

Anonymous said...

Such a great idea to use the pretzels as sticks- and I bet it was delicious, too. Also think your decorating job is fantastic, bravo!

Bumblebutton said...

Soooo, which ones did you enjoy the most? They look terrific!

Katie B. said...

Oh. My. Goodness! Pretzels as sticks?!?!?! GENIUS!!

Anonymous said...

The pretzel stick idea is inspired and inspiring! Gorgeous colors on your coatings too.

Sarah said...

these came out adorable! i love the use of the pretzel sticks!

Also, I love the name of your blog...very sweet.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the lovely comment you left for my newly wed Cheezypops:)) I like your pops, too. They are so colorful! Yum! Great looking blog, too.Will be back:)

Amanda @ notsoextraordinary said...

i love how creative your decorations are! i especially like the little cupcake wrappers you used :)

Barbara said...

Very festive and creative! Loved the pretzel stick.

The Food Librarian said...

The pretzel stick is BRILLIANT! That would have saved me precious gas seeking those lollipop stick. Love the colors. I'll try the vegan ones next time. Great job!

Chantal said...

So cute! Fantastic idea, i would have never thought of pretzels (nothing to throw away, eat it all1 Yum!! :D

The Irreverent Cook said...

So colourful! And like Chantal said, no wastage! I did feel abit sorry to throw away the lollipop sticks =P And by the way, love your post on the farmer's market!

Jen Yu said...

Wow, you did both versions? That's great! I think the pretzel stick is pure genius. What a terrific idea. They look awesome! Great job :)

Tricia said...

i love the pic with the pretzel stick. great job!

Sheltie Girl said...

You did a wonderful job!

Natalie @ Gluten a Go Go

Srivalli said...

lovely pops..I am sure belle loved it..how I wished I had a bite!

michael, claudia and sierra said...

the pretzel idea was brilliant. you win.

but if i see one more cheesecake pop...

Jacque said...

Great job on the pops! Reminds me of tie-dye. Pretzels do sound like a good idea. That last bite would be the sweet-salty combo that I love.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

<33 the colors!

Anonymous said...

Great use of colour!

I loke th pretzel idea, too

Brilynn said...

Pretzels are great, my sticks didn't have any flavour...

Amy said...

The pretzel sticks are genius!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Pretzels for sticks - now that is adorable!! Great job facing this challenge! Welcome to the daring bakers!