Sunday, June 28, 2009

Raspberry Clafoutis

Raspberry Clafoutis

Prior to having children, morning was about sleeping, stretching, reflecting. There were quiet mornings of sipping spiced tea and reading the newspaper.

Belle’s idea of morning is action and reaction. By 10:00, we have read many books, eaten breakfast, walked the dog, run to the market, done laundry, taken a shower, cleaned our room… Most mornings we have accomplished what needs to be done.

This morning the rain soothed the whole family into sleeping longer and sounder. Instead of roaring out of our beds and into our chores, we milled in bed. We spoke quietly and giggled. Rather than running out to a quick breakfast dive, we sat around the table and made breakfast.

Raspberries

Yesterday was one of those chore-filled days; we made it to the market early enough to get raspberries. My husband suggested with raspberry sauce. Pancakes are not my favorite. To me, they are messy and labor-intensive at a time when my synapses are at their slowest.

So, this morning it was raspberry clafoutis with Ohio maple syrup for breakfast following the perfectly scaled recipe at Eric Ripert. In keeping with our relaxing morning, the labor of making clafoutis is thankfully incommensurate with delicious decadence of the results.

It is also our entry for One Local Summer with farmer’s market raspberries (didn't get the farm's name because Belle was trying to steal the strawberries from the table), Snowville Creamery half and half, Snake Hill Farm maple syrup, and Maple Valley Sugarbush eggs.

Raspberry Clafoutis

21 comments:

Trista said...

I can relate! Boy that looks good! I have not heard of that particular dish, but we will have to try it! Thanks!

Dragon said...

I love the colour of this dessert! Yummy. :)

Chou said...

I love clafoutis! And mornings that involve lovely foods. It's much harder when others claim our time, isn't it?

Heather said...

wow. i don't know what's more gorgeous - the clafoutis or the pictures. i love the one of the sink!!

Celine said...

lucky husband and little belle ;)

pam said...

Gorgeous!
I feel the same way about pancakes. By the time I've finished making them, I'm tired and it's almost lunch time!

OhioMom said...

One word ... YUM!

Susan/Wild Yeast said...

I have never had good luck with clafouti -- always comes out too rubbery. Yours looks so wonderful, I will try again!

Zoe said...

I love this summer dish! light and perfect!

Soma said...

Sounds absolutely like my life:-) i have 2 girls, so summer break is also not a break - literally.. the recipe sounds awesome & I want to have some!

the bhel has the most innovative twist. LOVELY!

Sophie said...

I love breakfast, pancakes can be quite labor intensive, luckily my hubby's learned how to make them gluten free :)! You know, I've always been afraid of making this, looks so yummy too. I like all the fresh ingredients. Rainy weekend mornings are definitely my favorite :)!

Anonymous said...

A raspberry clafoutis sounds really scrumptious, what a nice breakfast!

Melissa said...

What a lovely post MM. You really made me smile with the feel of your morning, and of the three of you pondering breakfast. I've always wanted to try a clafoutis and I can't imagine Ripert would lead me down a difficult path... off to print his out...

Karine said...

Your clafoutis looks great! I made a cherry one a couple of weeks ago and you make me want to try a raspberry one!

maybelles mom said...

Sula Lee: do.

Dragon: thanks.

chou: so true.

Heather: thanks.

Celine Asril of Black.Salt: and lucky me.

Pam: thanks.

OhioMom: thanks.

Susan/Wild Yeast: oh, you are a flour queen. this recipe is a breeze. I do wonder if it wasn't too tough because we didn't mix it too much (too impatient.)

Zoe: thanks

Soma: thanks.

Sophie: I was afraid of it too but it was a breeze. Can you do it gluten free? probably, there is so little flour.

5 Star Foodie: thanks

Melissa: thanks. tell me if you try it.

Karine: definitely do.

Alicia Foodycat said...

You made clafoutis for breakfast? That is beautifully decadent!

I'm Australian, but we live in England. So my asparagus only comes from about 70 miles away! It's a lovely local seasonal treat (the asparagus season only lasts 8 weeks)

Heidi Robb said...

That sink shot is fantastic!

test it comm said...

I like the sound of a raspberry clafoutis!

angela@spinachtiger said...

I recently made cherry clafouti for first time. Raspberry would be delicious. I am now a nanny for my friend's twin almost 2 year olds. By 10, we have had breakfast (crepes, omelettes) souffles, gone on a power run, and done our letters, and colors. Having had many interesting and glamorous careers, I'm having the time of my life. Twins are magical.

Did you sprinkle sugar on this? I love the look.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that for weeks I have been trying every available raspberry recipe, as our bush in the garden was overflowing with them. We tried: souffles, pancakes, buttercream (with cupcakes, of course) ice cream, and finally just pureeing and freezing for a later use. How I wish I had thought of making a clafoutis with raspberries instead of cherries! I think the bush comes back to life later in the season, so I'll bookmark this.

Anyway, I found you through TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

Peter M said...

A quick and easy dessert Clafouti is. The in-season raspberries must have made this sublime.