Sunday, May 31, 2009

Gluten Free Pancakes

DSC_0268

Families wax and wane. This natural cycle is almost imperceptible in your youth. Sometime in mid-age it dawns on you that the number of funerals that you are attending outweigh the weddings.

In my childhood, my parents saved their vacation time and pennies for trips to India. In these short trips, they returned to their parents, tasted their childhood favorites, and shared stories with siblings and cousins. My friends went on vacation, and I went to India; here imagine my 11-year old eyes rolling. Now, as my aunt is planning her trip to India, I realize how envious I am of a trip to the family. But now, my parents are the grandparents. And, my husband and I save our vacation time to make sure my children spend time with their grandparents and aunts. Now we sit around the table, eat our childhood favorites and share memories with siblings.

The tables are increased with children and in-laws. And, each person complicates the food offerings. Allergies, dislikes and sensitivities are part of our family; probably part of every family. I can’t remember the last time I saw a peanut. Each new food situation changes the offerings.

Recently, when my cousin and his gluten-free girlfriend came from brunch. We tried to think what would be a good thing to serve. At first, we thought fritatta. As a reformed egg detractor, I always think eggs are can be an acquired taste. We thought about skipping breakfast and steaming towards lunch. There are plenty of savory items that are easy and gluten-free. But, then other questions came up. Red meat, okay or not? Dairy-free or not? There is always the fear that a menu might turn off a guest. And, since we see my family so rarely, we wanted to make sure brunch was welcoming and enjoyable.

My husband is a major proponent of pancakes. The smell, the warm syrup, the sugar rush all scream happy times and restful weekend to him. As the food has the word cake in its name, perhaps not the first thought when serving a gluten-free guest. But then again, with the right recipe…

Recipe
Gluten-free Pancakes


Separate 2 large eggs.

Beat the whites until fluffy but not stiff.

Combine the yolks with and whip with a fork:

1 1/2 c milk
2 t vanilla extract
3 T melted ghee (cooled)

In another bowl, sift together:

1 1/3 c. GF flour (I bought storebought)
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp and a pinch baking powder
3 Tbsp. sugar

Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix quickly. Fold in the egg whites.

Let batter rest for 10 minutes and then cook on a hot griddle. Serve warm.


Blueberry syrup:
In a saucepan combine and simmer:

2 cups Water
2 T Orange-blossom honey
1 cup Frozen blueberries
Orange zest
Lime zest
2 inches of ginger (peeled)
2 T brown sugar
3 T sugar
2 cardamom pods

DSC_0233

7 comments:

The CFT said...

Looks great. My mom thanks you for this one.

michael, claudia and sierra said...

beautiful post
i've missed you!

maybelles mom said...

Claudia, thanks.

CFT, I say you use half and half instead of milk. I hear you have some laying around.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

That must have been nice to visit India. I hope to get there someday. You made such a nice breakfast. My brother-in-law is celiac and would enjoy your pancakes. :)

OhioMom said...

With all the wonderful flavors going on, no one would know these are gluten free .. love the blueberry topping!

Heidi Robb said...

Astounding how difficult is is to please a crowd, even a small one anymore.

A short stack of your cakes would be very welcome right now. I'm realizing how much I've missed your inspired blogging.

maybelles mom said...

Helene: oh, if you make them. tell me.

OhioMom: Yeah, they really didn't feel wheat-free.

Heidi Robb: Thanks so much.