Saturday, May 23, 2009

Radish greens, Lupini Beans, and Potatoes with Lemon


The warmth and floral beauty of spring have done a great deal to lift my spirits. After many months of being able to eat very little, hospitals and IVs, my body is definitely shell-shocked. Recent bloods tested showed that I am very anemic. As my husband says I am apparently even an overachiever when it comes to blood tests. For iron, the range is 20-120; I scored a 4. Iron supplements are so hard on my stomach they mean I can’t really eat anything, so we are going with the food is medicine route.
Recently, I have been thinking about how hard pregnancy can be on the man. Now, don’t worry, I know full well how hard it is on the woman. I am living it. But, for the woman, there is support for her problems. Almost 8 months in, it is fairly obviously that I am with child. But, for the man, there is no sign to the world. My husband also has the constant doctors’ appointments, taking me to the blood tests, cooking while I am on bed rest. And, I wonder how many people think to ask him how he is doing with all this.

Since November, he has been doing all the cleaning and cooking and most of the caregiving. Belle is now a little over 2 years old, very verbal and very active. To all of this, he has decided increasing my iron intake through food seems like a nice hobby. And, so for by first dish back to Feeding Maybelle: Radish greens, Lupini Beans, and Potatoes with Lemon. Vegetable sources of iron can be hard for the body to metabolize so they should be paired with citrus. In addition, refrain from caffeine or calcium for a couple hours so as to insure proper absorption.
Anyway, I am trying to ease back into blogging because I miss the food, the fun, and of course, everyone.

Recipe:
Radish greens, Lupini Beans, and Potatoes with Lemon

Sautee:
1 diced potato in olive oil
Salt to taste

Add:
Cleaned radish greens

Add:
Splash of vegetable stock
1 tsp lemon zest
½ tsp red pepper

Add:
1 handful cooked lupini beans

Finish with kosher salt and a squeeze of ½ lemon

15 comments:

Nancy Heller said...

Great to see you back again! This dish looks delicious.

Zoë said...

Hey! It is so good to hear from you. i'm glad you're doing well (well - meaning, well enough to blog!).

I am also also really grateful for this recipe. I've just started pulling out these beautiful radishes and feel awful about throwing out these beautiful leaves. Now I have this beautiful recipe, and an experimental radish green period to begin.

Thank you!

Jessica M said...

I had just started reading your blog when you posted the last entry about being pregnant. It resonated as I was in the first trimester as well - with twins. I have probably done 3 loads of dishes the entire pregnancy - my husband has been wonderful. So glad to hear that you are close to seeing your baby. I have about 2 months to go and while I know they are going to be challenging, I also know I can get through it.

I also love food, love to cook and look forward to having the energy to return to the kitchen. I actually got to go to the Greenhouse Tavern last night which was such a treat.

This dish looks so delicious - I'm going to have to see what I can do!

Lots of luck to you!

OhioMom said...

Welcome Back! You are often on my mind, I am sorry you have had such a rough time of it (and the hubs too). This dish appeals to my hunger for lighter foods this time of the year.

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

Really glad to have you back!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. We've definitely missed your wit and your food here.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Glad you are back and relatively well. This dish looks divine!

maybelles mom said...

Nancy Heller: thanks, nancy.

Zoë: Can't wait to read your experiments. I bet a stuffed bread would be good.

Jessica: Twin pregnancies can be exhausting, so kudos to you on only have two months to go. (Sounds like we are close to the same way through.) And, I can't wait until after this baby comes to eat at the Greenhouse Tavern.

OhioMom: it is nice to shed the heavy food of winter.

_ts of [eatingclub] vancouver: thanks.

[eatingclub] vancouver || js: very sweet. thank you.

Anonymous: Thanks. It is good be back.

Temperance said...

It is great to have you back! I am glad to hear you are finding good food to eat, I was imagining you living on vitamin supliments and nurtitional shakes, it wasn't a pretty thought.

The CFT said...

Please add me to the welcome backers.

we are never full said...

good to see you back! and glad things are getting better. i have a touch of anemia. i need to eat more iron and am always looking for ways to do so. this looks great. i love that you used radish greens... we happen to have some right now. good luck w/ the last month of pregnancy! and thank you for making me think about the importance of seeing how the man is doing during those 9 months. great point.

glamah16 said...

I am so happy to see you blogging again. While still not 100% its good to knoe that enthuasim is back. Hope you continue to get better.

michael, claudia and sierra said...

will your husband marry me???

maybelles mom said...

The CFT: thanks.


we are never full: my husband agrees about being a man. and enjoy those greens.


glamah16: thanks so much.


cook eat FRET: sorry, taken.

Villrose said...

After looking for a way to use the lupini beans I bought on Madeira, I finally found a mouth-watering recipie in your blog. Seems to be a nice blog too, which i have bookmarked :-)