Monday, May 25, 2009

Omelet with Tomato Salad, Radish Greens and Potatoes

131

I had a friend say to me a few months ago, I should blog about the foods I can’t eat each week. Really, the list is fairly long and seems to constantly evolve. One day, all of a sudden something innocuous might become terribly offensive—apples are a recent victim.

During pregnancy, hormones pullulate through your veins seeping into every part of your body. And, then if you are of the unlucky few for whom nausea is a constant companion, strong food aversions are commonplace. I am pretty sure that my taste buds are completely fried. I say this as a sort of caveat—I have been eating some sort of strange combinations.

The other day, I had an IV infusion of iron. This is a food blog so I will leave the health talk to a minimum. But, imagine the scene--I was sitting in a beige room, hooked up to the plastic cording with my feet up, watching elderly cancer patients pick up their prescriptions, while my husband studied the handout on increasing iron in your diet. All of these options are predicated on the belief that I can eat or want to eat the food described in the packet. Of these two options, it is the former that is more likely. There is plenty I would love to eat; my stomach just sincerely disagrees.

But, then one moment when I looked back at the different categories on the sheet—iron-rich food, acid rich foods that help you take in the iron, and calcium rich no-nos, it all felt doable. The result was delicious. Not whacky hormone delicious, but actually tasty. Even my husband thought it was yummy.

You see, I had just read [eatingclub] vancouver’s homestyle eggs and tomatoes. I don’t know that it would have appealed to me so strongly prior to finding myself in this delicate state. (I don't necessarily go for eggs with tomatoes). But, the recipe really drew me in. I, of course, made it Indian style. (Right now, Indian food is the only thing that really works for me. My husband thinks that when you are very sick your stomach can only tolerate what you grew up with.)

So, we made a quick tomato salad (with cumin, red chili, mustard seeds and coriander seeds), sautéed the radish greens with mustard seeds, and browned some potatoes with cumin. All these accoutrements topped a simple omelet. (Really no recipes, just yummy.)

133

17 comments:

Chou said...

I'm so glad something agrees with you occasionally! I appreciate your willingness to share your experience with us (your readers)--for me, your experiences remind me to never take for granted my body.

OhioMom said...

You know I have never eaten radish greens, but you two posts have me wanting to try them, next time at the market I am going to buy some. Another inviting light dish.

Zoë said...

Apples! I am so intrigued now about what will happen once the little one arrives (besides the joy of having another little beauty). I actually love tomatoes on omlettes and just bought some beautiful ones. Now i need mustard seeds!

Thistlemoon said...

This looks great! I love that you made it "Indian style" - sounds good to me! Congratulations are in order too! :)

maybelles mom said...

chou-thanks. and, you know, I generally take my body for granted.

OhioMom--And right now, there are some beautiful radishes at our markets.

Zoë--Mustard seeds are a must. And, let me tell you I have plans for when the baby comes.

JennDZ - Thanks and thanks.

The CFT said...

Glad to see the dish assortment back in action. I imagine they were getting lonely in the cupboard.

Heidi Robb said...

So happy to have you back! I've really missed your posts and creative cooking. Happy you are eating - some.

holly_44109 said...

Happy to hear you're cooking and eating :)

Unknown said...

so glad that you are feeling better and back to blogging! :)

Dharm said...

It must be tough not being able to eat so many things and tough to have to go for IVs too. This omellete looks lovely and the 'indianised' version is just super!

glamah16 said...

Now thata picture perfect and satisfying dish.Love the use of Indian flavors.

michael, claudia and sierra said...

and more beautiful food!

i could eat that like 5x a week. but i love eggs...

maybelles mom said...

The CFT: frankly my whole kitchen was getting longly.


Heidi Robb: thanks.

holly_44109: thanks.

Debra: thanks, glad to be back.

Dharm: thanks for the empathy.

glamah16: thanks.

cook eat FRET: thanks. You do love eggs, don't you.

maybelles mom said...

The CFT: frankly my whole kitchen was getting longly.


Heidi Robb: thanks.

holly_44109: thanks.

Debra: thanks, glad to be back.

Dharm: thanks for the empathy.

glamah16: thanks.

cook eat FRET: thanks. You do love eggs, don't you.

Maggie said...

It's so wonderful to hear you're feeling better!

I adore tomatoes on omelets but have never had them Indian-spiced. I love the radish greens too! I'll have to stop composting mine.

maybelles mom said...

maggie: thanks. Definitely eat the greens.

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

Hmm, it seems to make sense, that one would eat what one grew up with when under duress.