Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Feta, Shrimp and Fennel Cheesecake Topped with Shrimp/Fennel/ Parsley Salad

5
I usually spend the first two weeks of the month ruminating on the Royal Foodie Joust ingredients. Don’t know what I am talking about? Leftover Queen has an event monthly in which every month entrants submit recipes. This month the ingredients are fennel, dairy and parsley. When I told my friend about the ingredients, she asked if I had picked them because I use these three ingredient in concert all the time.

For this month, I decided to submit my special brunch cheesecake. It is fancy, tasty and not so overwhelmingly anise-y. In fact, it is a great entry into the world of fennel; and it uses the whole plan—seeds in the crust; bulbs in the cheesecake, and fronds in the salad. It add to it, the process is not hard.

Recipe:
Feta, Shrimp and Fennel Cheesecake Topped with Shrimp/Fennel/ Parsley Salad

Feta Cheesecake:
Adapted from Alton Brown Good Eats.

Turn oven to 375

Pulverize enough fennel seed rusk (see link) to make 1 cup of crumbs. (I used a mortar and pestle, because I had no idea how many.) IF can’t find rusk (and you called your local Indian store) just use breadcrumbs and add fennel seed.

Combine breadcrumbs with
1 egg white
2 T melted butter

Pat into a 7 inch springmold pan

Bake 8 minutes

In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, combine
12 oz softened cream cheese
1/3 cup sour cream
¾ cup Greek feta cheese
1.5 T of cornstark
salt to taste (that feta can be salt)
1 egg
1 egg yolk

Fold in
1/3 of cup puree fennel bulb
½ cup diced shrimp (half-cooked)

Pour batter into cooled springform.

Cook at 250 for 1 hour. Rest in oven (unopened for 1 hr). Chill 1-2 hours.


Salad:
Slice
1/3 cup fennel very finely

Add:
1/3 cup parsley, roughly chopped
1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/3 cup shrimp, diced
2 T feta

Dress the salad with grapeseed oil and rice wine vinegar.
3

30 comments:

Dharm said...

Yowzer! That looks just amazing. A savoury cheesecake with Prawns(shrimp). Looks just super. Good luck on the joust! :)

Dee said...

First, the pictures look great! Second, a savoury cheesecake is a great idea, and one I'm sad to say I've never even contemplated. Third, the fennel breadcrumb mixture is genius. Now I'm going to sit in the corner for a bit and think about this.

Anonymous said...

wow! that looks gorgeous!!! i would love to take a bite!

Thistlemoon said...

This is totally and completely beautiful! I am speechless, really! Best of luck! This looks like a winner coming out of the gate!

Peter M said...

It's gorgeous, novel, sounds delish and wins bonus points from me with the feta!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That is fantastic sounding and looking. Savory cheesecake!! I'm all for that! And yes it is fancy, beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this looks wonderful! I am going to make it this weekend, but substitute one of the really lovely goat cheeses from Firefly Farms that have shown up at our farmer's market this year. Thanks for something new to do with the cherry tomatoes that are literally overtaking my garden. I had run out of things!

Natasha said...

mmm, a savoury cheesecake! It looks divine!

maybelles mom said...

Dharm: Thanks and thanks.

Dee: thanks for 1, 2, and 3. I bet you will come up with something good.

Tasty Trends: oh, I would love to give you some. Next time.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen: How kind.

Peter M: I am obsessed with Greek cheese this summer--and glad you like it.

MyKitchenInHalfCups: thanks.

Sarah: Glad that you will make this. Hope it goes well.

Natasha: thanks.

Sophie said...

This is so darn pretty and creative! I'm a huge fennel fan, too :). A breakfasty cheesecake sounds awesome, love all the savory ingredients. Lovely job :)

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

This is genius! But then you already know that. ;)

Peabody said...

This would make a fabulous appetizer!

Anonymous said...

Fennel, feta and shrimp, lovely. And the use of the fennel rusks, truly inspired!

FOODalogue said...

I was looking forward to entering my first Foodie Joust this month, but I just saw the WINNER! :) This is fabulous! Another first for this food-blogging newbie...I'm printing this one out and can't wait to try it. Question: Do you think if I could substitute ricotta for cream cheese?

Alexa said...

Maybelle Mom,
Wow... that looks so beautiful, delicious and elegant. I love this combination of flavors... Will have to try it for my next brunch.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Wow! It's so pretty and it sounds delicious. Great entry!

Michele said...

I think that you've got a real winner here!! I hate fennel and I want to dive into your cheesecake.

Anonymous said...

How awesome this is! OMG what a great idea, just love it. These are some of my favorite flavors.

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

wow-wow-wow wow-wow-wow wow-wow-wow!!!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

What a beauty. I guess this would be well receive at any potluck parties.

Anonymous said...

Fennel cheesecake sounds simply WOW! The salad topping looks gorgeous.

Lore said...

Brilliant! Now that's one cheesecake that would be so hard to share and quite frankly I'd keep it all for myself :)

Brilynn said...

I have yet to make a savoury cheesecake, but that looks amazing!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

WOW this looks amazing and what a beautiful presentation!! You did a great job. This would be a sure hit at any gathering.

Marija said...

What a great entry! Love, love, love it!

Maggie said...

This looks wonderful! These Joust ingredients have me completely lost. I'm really impressed with your recipe. I have to figure out how to make a single serving one!

Temperance said...

Beautiful, and tasaty too I bet. I have played with the idea of making a savory cheese cake but love the sweet ones too much.

Stacey Snacks said...

This came out absolutely gorgeous.
I am going to attempt it.
Beautiful!
Stacey Snacks

glamah16 said...

This is fantastic. I have to try a savory cheesecake great entry!

maybelles mom said...

Sophie: thanks.

[eatingclub] vancouver || js: thanks.

Peabody: yes, it would.

lifeinrecipes: thanks.

FOODalogue: A Gastronomic Travel Memoir: thanks. and I would think ricotta would work, though I have never done it. It might be a little moister than cream cheese so add flour accordingly.

Alexa: thanks. do tell me if you try it.

Foodycat: thanks.

Michele: thanks. this would turn you on to fennel.

noble pig: thanks. hope you try it.

_ts of [eatingclub] vancouver: thanks. Can't wait to see your entry.

Helene: thanks.

amritac: thanks. the salad would be good alone too.

Lore: thanks. And, it was tough sharing this one.

Brilynn: thanks.

Cathy-wheresmydamnanswer: thanks. It is great for a gathering.

Marija: thanks.

Maggie: let me think about single serving, hmmn.

Temperance: I had the same aversion to savory ones for ages, but this one is worth it.

Stacey Snacks: do tell me how yours turns out.

glamah16: thanks.