Friday, August 22, 2008

Pie Crust Recipe

Peach Raspberry Pie

So, I believe I have settled on a pie recipe. It draws heavily from other sources, including Dorie via Zoe Bakes, Cakes and Pastries by Christian Teubner, The Joy of Cooking, and my husband. But, this is how I have decided to do things:

In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment:
Add 1/4 cup sugar and 2.5 sticks cold butter cut into pieces. Whirl quickly.

Add shortening. Whirl quickly. You should have chunks of butter coated with sugar.

Add 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour. Beat on low. You should get a crumbly mess.

Dump in 1/2 cup water that has been in the refrigerator. Whirl on medium just until it comes together.

Place dough in refrigerator for 1/2. Roll out, form, fill, and then bake at 375 until brown.

What have I done differently? Well, I am lazier than the average pie maker. I don't freeze anything. And, I don't use two knives. But the resulting pie has always gotten raves, so either my friends lie to me (are they really my friends?) Or else it works just fine.

NB. The pictured lattice pie used Zoe Bakes Peach Raspberry filling but used raspberry and blackberry.

Peach Raspberry Pie

1 comment:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

In another life, perhaps I can make pie crust. In this, I'm not hoping.

I'm just saying, is all, okay?

Pie looks yummy.