Everyday is like a marathon crossed with a sprint. You wake up to cries of mom, then the race begins. Tooth-brushing, lunch-packing, shoelace-tying, teddy bear-finding, book-reading, bottle-cleaning all before getting to work. After 8 hours of work, you stand in front of your fridge dazed and knackered. Hey, I know that so many people live the same life but with even more children, work, etc.
Should you have the balls or stupidity to have people over on a weeknight, what do you make? Well, the other day, I did eggplant parmigiana. It was an epic plan that came together as a I drove home. This is how it worked:
1. dice up onion, carrot, parsley, celery, garlic and sautee in olive oil
2. add 1 large can crushed san marzano tomatoes
3. slice Sicilian Eggplants in cross-sections of 1/2 inch thick, salt and place on napkins
4. put a large pot of water to boil.
5. then set up an assembly line: eggplant, egg wash, bread crumbs, skillet with canola oil, cooked tomato sauce (steps 1&2), casserole, mozza cheese, parmesan. After everything is together, set to it. And, once everything is layered. Bake at 400 until cheese is melted.
6. while egggplant is baking, boil pasta.
This was delicious and made me feel super organized to get everything sorted so quickly.