Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Pasta Salad, I mean Salad with Pasta

DSC_0039
The other day, I was eating egg noodles, and I had this revelation that a cool salad could be very nice with addition of pasta. I was sort of thinking about the different courses that you get at an Italian restaurant--iceberg lettuce salad, an entree (like eggplant parmigiana) and a side of pasta.

What if all those elements are combined? Typing this now, I know it sounds like some sort of stoner fantasy. But I mean instead, what if you tipped all those proportions into a more healthy proportion?

DSC_0029
For the first incarnation, I made a salad of watercress, arugula, parley and oregano leaves topped with tomatoes and oregano flowers. Having dressed it with lime and grapeseed oil, I topped it with warm tortellini, using High on the Hog's egg noodle recipe, stuffed with Greek feta and Greek mizithra cheese. Finally, this got a deserving kiss of parmesan, and voila pasta salad.

DSC_0038

24 comments:

test it comm said...

Adding tortellini to a salad sounds good.

Nancy Heller said...

OMG - I am so hungry now (and I just finished eating dinner).

Peter M said...

What a gorgeous plate! It's a salad, it's a meal and it has Greek cheeses...you get the gold star from the Greek today!

OhioMom said...

Works for me :)

Dragon said...

If Salad comes before Pasta it means it's healthy, right? :)

Great looking salad!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

To me, tortellini makes the BEST pasta salad. And yours, my dear, looks positively delicious!

Tiina said...

Your salad looks absolutely delicious!

Greetings,
Tiina

Emily said...

Oh! I like it. That's my kind of pasta-salad. The pasta looks really yummy.
I don't think it's a stoner fantasy at all....:)

Sophie said...

What a creative and healthy idea. Good job with thinking out of the box :)...I bet they are much better than croutons!

Lore said...

Love these colours! Great idea addings Feta stuffed tortellini to it.

Anonymous said...

How pretty your salad looks! I like this version very much because I can eat more of it with out being too full from too much pasta. It's the perfect ration of pasta to veggies!

Anonymous said...

Your tortellini look just perfect. I love the idea of little carb satisfaction with all of those glorious veggies.

Katie said...

Yum! That looks great. Beautiful photos.

I love your blog!

bagel said...

Hi Maybelle's Mom,
Your salad looks wonderful. I always forget to put herbs in my salad, always doing the lazy thing and just toss a few greens (and maybe some reds and oranges) in. Yours looks very refreshing and summery.

Um... I got tagged with my first foodie meme and I am supposed to tag other people. So I tag you, if you have time. Info here on my blog-- http://eatabagel.blogspot.com/2008/07/internet-memes-and-foodie-tag.html

Your dishes look great. Have a good day!

Cynthia said...

Colourful and yummy!

Unknown said...

wowww fresh and healthy! ^_^

Swati said...

Hi Maybelle

Thats a refreshing and colorful salad...

glamah16 said...

I have always loved cold pasta on salad. The best!

heather said...

Great idea. I'll definitely try that this week.

Amy said...

Hey Feeding Maybelle--have you written about fennel lately? Can you provide any advice on cooking with it? It's the only plant that truly loves my yard...

Lucy..♥ said...

A wonderful salad, so perfect specially at this time of the year.. awesome ;-)

maybelles mom said...

thanks to all of you for commenting. it makes me happy.

Quinn said...

Lovely photos! The shot in the colander is my favorite. Clicked through from Tastespotting and am impressed by your blog, photography, and your post proliferation!

Sweet Bird said...

Holy cow if making your own tortellini isn't the most industrious thing ever?! I am so not that motivated. But I'm glad you are!