Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Pathrado


Soakng the Swiss Chard, originally uploaded by maybellesmom.



I must say reading blogs has become much more interesting now that I write one. It is nice to have a live community to react to; it is nice to be inspired and to inspire. White on Rice Couple has a beautiful blog, and recently they were creating rolled food. It inspired me to try a recipe I had never made--pathra/ pathrado. It is a rolled, steamed leaf dish. The internet yielded a few recipes, but I checked in with a friend for to get the "right" measurements. The recipe S-- gave me is listed below.


Cleaning the Swiss Chard, originally uploaded by maybellesmom.




Swiss Chard Stems, originally uploaded by maybellesmom.




Making Pathrado, originally uploaded by maybellesmom.




Making Pathrado 2, originally uploaded by maybellesmom.




Pathrado is a Mess, originally uploaded by maybellesmom.




Pathrado in the Steamer, originally uploaded by maybellesmom.




Steaming the Pathrado, originally uploaded by maybellesmom.




Pathrado in a Skillet, originally uploaded by maybellesmom.




Pathrado, originally uploaded by maybellesmom.



Recipe:
Pathrado

Soak in water overnight

1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup dal

Drain the water and then use a blender to create a very thick paste of the rice, dal, with
the flesh of one coconut
5-10 chillis (dry roasted)
1 tsp asofoetida
1 tsp tamarind
2 tsp salt
(Add water slowly to keep it moist.)

Wash the leaves and remove the stalks of

25 Large flat leaves (Taro/Colacasia leaves, Swiss Chard, Collard Leaves

Spread the paste onto one leaf so that it is covered with about 1/4 of an inch of masala, cover with another leaf and repeat. Do this until you have 5 leaves on top of each other. and then roll up like a jelly roll. Tie with string.

Steam for about 20 minutes.

Slice and serve warm. Or pan fry them in olive oil and serve.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Thanks for the recipe & great step by step photographs of this awesome dish!
We are growing both swiss chard and colacasia leaves and you can bet when the leaves get bigger, we'll be making both! Promise! But all we need is asofoetida. We've seen this so much in other recipes and have to get some ASAP.

Anonymous said...

This looks seriously delicious!! Do you have a personal preference for steamed or pan fried?

maybelles mom said...

Thanks for the comments guys. I definitely consume them pan fried. I am not a great lover of coconut, so i like the complexity from the pan frying. And as for asofoetida or hing as it is also called. You should find it Indian grocery stores. If you can't, I could mail you some of mine. I use it only once in a blue moon.

Pixie said...

This looks wonderful, thanks for sharing such a lovely dish and wow, what a HUGE pot!!!

maybelles mom said...

I know it is a huge steamer with two trays. I picked it up from somewhere when I got into making dim sum. I practically never use it, frankly, b/c it is so big. mostly it just takes up a good corner of my pantry. But, you could easily use a steamer basket. If that is the case, I might suggest halfing the recipe so you don't have to steam so much at once.

Tiina said...

This is a totally new dish to me. Looks very interesting!

maybelles mom said...

I was reading the other day that this is something that happens throughout the west of India and Pakistan--from Jammu to Karnataka--though with minor adjustments.