Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Gelateria

Gelateria

On Friday as I rushed across town eager to discuss the ways of my nephews’ elementary school lives, the sign for the Gelateria beckoned me in. I left with three pizzas (funghi and prosciutto, pepperoni, and margherita ) and three boxes of gelato (mango, chocolate and mint chocolate chip.) Years ago, my husband and I were there when the Gelateria was first open. We once had dinner of ice cream at the Baskin Robbins (or was it Hersheys by that time?) and gelato for desert. When we moved out east, I was happy to find a Gelateria had popped up near home (a rare Cleveland joint in the chainland of Legacy Village.) When I was pregnant, and ate grapefruit for the morning sickness (often like this), I often stopped by for a grapefruit gelato.

But, I had not been there since it started serving pizza. The Valerio’s pizza is cooked in a stone oven. The pizza smelled lovely as I was driving home. I had thought that I would walk in the door, reheat them in the oven, toss a salad, open a bottle of wine, take out plates, set a table and eat a nice dinner with the family. Instead, I walked in to find all my house guests were ravenous. I placed the pizzas on the table and everyone broke into the pizza. My family was really impressed by the pizza—as was I. I particularly enjoyed the mushroom and prosciutto pizza. It is my suggestion that if you are serving boys you order more pizza than you think you need.

The stores namesake was brought out next. I am not a mint person so I had a taste of the chocolate and mango. Both were good, but I have always been a particular fan of the fruit-flavored gelatos; and the mango was amazing. My only suggestion is that you remember cash when you stop by.


Gelateria

7 comments:

Rowena said...

Hi Maybelle's Mom!
Thanks for stopping by at the blog, I always like discovering new blogs via comments and boy, is it ever delightful to visit here and see gelato at the top of the posts! Whether homemade or store-bought, it's all delicious to me, but gimme chocolate for the first scoop!

Sarah said...

I LOVE the Gelateria! My favorite is the fruit flavored ones as well. We recently sampled the Mango, and also really enjoyed it. It was like a small taste of summer! My husband is a big fan of their pizzas, our only complaint is that they seem to have irradic hours. But I am sure that will change once the weather warms up.

Kajal@aapplemint said...

gelato and pizza .. i'm commin over :P

manju said...

your blog is definitely THE wrong website to visit when i haven't eaten dinner yet and have not a thing in the house.

Anonymous said...

Gelato and pizza for an evenings meal is perfect! Actually, we can eat it for lunch and breakfast too!
I have yet to try mango gelato. The one you had sounds great!

aaron and becky said...

I always get super hungry when i read about all this yummy food!

maybelles mom said...

Thanks to everyone for commenting. it makes me think I will have to bust out the ice cream maker and make some mango gelato...