Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Baby Thali



Even though I have been bizarrely, overly blog-productive this month, I haven’t posted all the meals that I wanted to track. How can that be you ask? Well, we don’t always eat leftovers for lunch. And, we do eat lunch.

On Sunday, I wanted to make a feast for the baby. She was so hungry and I wanted to meet her needs in a pretty way. I have been so inspired by Vegan Lunchbox and Vegan Bento. I am not there yet. Who knows maybe blog called vegan tiffin might be in my future. But, on Sunday, I wanted her to feast, so I made tandoori tofu, quick chole and gosale. The rice was from the day before and the chappati was store-bought. The chole was a big hit. While Belle like the tofu, the spice was a little love for me.

Baby Tandoori Tofu
Marinate the following for 1 hour

1 cup soy yogurt
1 block tofu, sliced into triangles
1 T cider vinegar
1 T garlic paste
1 T ginger paste
1 T ground cumin
1 t ground coriander
¼ t cayenne pepper
¼ t turmeric
1/8 t ground cloves

Use a spoon to brush off some of the yogurt from the tofu. Pan fry in a cast-iron grill pan. Serve warm. (You can simmer and reduce the yogurt with vegetable broth to make a sauce.)

Baby Chole
Saute over medium heat

½ small red onion
1 T tomato paste
2 t ground cumin

When the onions have softened add

½ can organic chickpeas
2 T unsweetened apple sauce
½ cup water
salt to taste

Serve with rice or bread or both

No comments: